Sunday, September 30, 2007

Adventures With Sarah

Yikes…. Another month has gone by already! The significance of one month is very evident when you have a little one. He’s always doing some new thing and changing in some way. It’s a blast, and at the same time there’s always some looming challenge that wasn’t expected or just makes you feel like an idiot. As I look back over the past 5 and half months I just laugh about the journey it has been. Let’s just take Seth’s feeding time as an example. Our little trooper has eaten his meals in 4 different countries, spanning three continents…. He has declared his hunger and porked out in the car on the side of the road, in the car at McDonalds, in McDonalds, in the car at the grocery store, in the grocery store (don’t ask), in the dentist chair, in countless homes across North America, hanging thousands of feet above Greenland, in a little maintenance golf cart in the London airport, and in more white plastic deck chairs than I’d like to remember. And now here we are fully settled into our home in Uganda and I still find the child thing a new experience every day. I don’t know what I was expecting….all I know is I’ve gone scrambling for the very thick “What to Expect in the First Year” book hundreds of times already which at first glance gives the impression of being entirely too detailed because of it’s sheer size. In reality I’ve ripped hungrily through the pages and wished for more as I’ve tried to glean some helpful tidbit to suit the situation at hand. As I laugh at myself here I realize I am having so much fun with Seth and am so thankful for my friends, helpful books, and Mark!
As far as work is concerned, I am really enjoying getting back to it. I have been working mostly from home…. Getting letters addressed and ready for kids to write to their sponsors, helping them get started, and then proof reading their letters. When I have gone to the school it is really fun and so sweet to see all the love there for Seth. But the down side is, it is so noisy and helter skelter that a full day there with Seth is pretty much out of the question. My boss in Canada has asked that I write a proposal suggesting what things I feel I can do that fit into baby schedule. I am very thankful for that and am about to submit that in the next few days. For the time being I will finish the letters and Christmas Cards for the sponsors for this term and then look at what else I will be doing…. I’m pretty excited…. There are some great possibilities!
Enough from me…. There’s a little munchkin on my lap who is flapping his arms wildly trying to access the keyboard….. his little face lights up when he gets within a few feet of the computer… will have to give him a crack at it. One little request…. I am struggling with scheduling my evenings….. Seth seems to be fussy then and it’s a busy time with dinner, clean-up, washing diapers for the next day, baby bath and bed-time…. If any of you girls have some tips I would appreciate it. I’ve been experimenting but suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! Love you all! Sarah

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah, I finally found the blog and I enjoyed reading it! Pictures too. Life is good here in SD. It was nice you called skeet for her b-day-good sister :) She is in Morgan this weekend and enjoying time with them including Kalvin, Leah, and Kayley. She loves Kayley already! I'm excited about our little monkey to come and I can't wait for Seth and him/her to meet for the first time! woohoo!
Okay.. I should leave a book on your comments. Seth is fussy at night eh? If my kid gets fussy..I'll just put'm outside with to play with the dog, try that, flintstone style. haha:) I'm no help. Much love to you guys. Ken

Nancy Skeels said...

Very fun to see all your new pictures! We've experienced lots of the same milestones with our babies, but your little guy is ahead of ours when it comes to moving around on his own. Mark's wedding experience was interesting, along with the roads, the dresses, and the people ... you guys will have so many stories to share when you get back!

Laura said...

Hello Sarah! Wow its so good to hear from you guys. I love the pictures! I would love to see Africa at some point in my life. Bradly is doing well. School is more of a challange than he thought it would be. He is pushed a lot more than what he was in past grades. Its good for him but at the same time very frustrating not only for him but for me as well.

Okay... On to the suggestions for Seth. Im sure you have already tried this, but find different SAFE objects, lay him on the floor and put the objects around him. For instance, a large spoon and a pot for him to bang on. I don't know what you have for safe kitchen supplies, but that always seems to work when I had a fussy wwee one at dinner time. Why I don't know. Give it a shot. The worst is he won't like it or it would scare the grap out of him. GOOD LUCK!

Christa said...

Hi Sarah, I enjoy reading your blog. It's great to see pictures of Seth and hear what you are doing in Uganda.
When my oldest was Seth'sge, I sometimes put him in the baby backpack while I made dinner because he wanted to be held so often. Once the other two came along, it wasn't an issue because they could entertain each other. So my solution is have another baby! :)
Take care,
Christa Rachwalski

Unknown said...

hi sarah, my name is makiko johnston...we've actually never met, but my hubby and mark used to plant trees years ago...anyways, thinking of your baby, do african women carry their babes on their back with slings etc? if there is someone who can show you how to do that, I would give it a try. they are amazingly comfy and most babies really like being wrapped and being close to mommy :) (it may take a while for him to get used to at first though) but I woudn't recommend carrying him in a front carrier. I had one with my 2nd and it took 2x's longer to accomplish anything as you can't see anything in front of you and your afraid of burning his legs if your cooking etc...we've enjoyed your blogs and hope one day we can meet!