Tuesday, July 1, 2008

After what can seem a long time the groom is taken into the house and asked some serious questions by the bride’s family that are apparently not appropriate to ask in front of everyone. Once he passes the test he returns where the procession is allowed to continue. She gives him a ring and a cake is cut to be shared with everyone. Yes, you guessed it the event is followed by a huge meal prepared by the bride’s family. The groom is allowed to bring some of his close people into the house for an inner meal. I was fortunate enough to attend as one of the ten going inside on this occasion. The food was great and more than enough to last a few days. Once finished we went back outside for some closing remarks. Yes, this is a ‘kwangala’, but for traditional purposes would be considered the wedding. This would constitute a wedding as papers were issued, but for those people who are born again a wedding (very much like the kind we have) will take place. Yes, stay tuned next month as I take myself through my first Ugandan wedding as a groomsman.
As I arrived home I found myself tired but happy for my friend, Ivan, and his new wife-to-be, Sarah. They are happy and both excited about the wedding next week. Yes, I was excited to see my Sarah when I got home and know that Seth was safe and sleeping soundly. A long day from 1:00 pm until 9:00 pm, but a day well spent for Ivan and Sarah

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder if you could play hockey in a dress? That would be dandy! :) Gotta be fun doing those cultural events.

Tillie Parmar said...

Hi Mark. I don't know if you remember us from Heritage, but my husband Depak and I attend there with our daughters Chelsea and Natalie (she's new - 8 months old). Chelsea really enjoyed singing and dancing with Sarah when she helped out with the kids singing at Heritage. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your commentary on the wedding introduction. Depak's brother is getting married in a couple of weeks, and his family being Indo-Canadian, I am being introduced to many new wedding customs that sound similar to what you attended. Definately a new experience for me, but I'm enjoying the uniqueness of it, especially from what I'm used to.

We enjoy reading your blog and will keep your family in our prayers, especially with the new little one arriving.

Blessings,
Tillie Parmar