Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Adventures With Sarah

There’s a notice posted outside our gate. In short it states that this is the last warning… overdue taxes must be paid by the property owner or Kampala City Council will bring in ‘legal machinery’. It states the owners have only 7 days to comply. This was posted last Friday. In my more flimsy moments I’ve envisioned myself with Seth in one arm standing in front of our house (which I rather like) facing off with a man driving the big wrecking ball truck. And it really is not much comfort that most things in Africa take three times longer than they should to transpire. I’m afraid with this sort of thing, all may go very smoothly and come off on time without a hitch! Sadly the property owner lives in the UK and her delinquent son who used to live right outside our bedroom window in his own little place, has traveled there to continue his studies. Up until now I haven’t missed him at all. I honestly have no idea how this will play out but I have revised my intervention plan. My new plan places Seth safely in the swing under the tree with lunch and suitcases nearby. From my post in front of the house I will be able to see all three of our passports sticking out of the lunch basket. If the wrecking ball starts to swing I will step aside, have lunch, pick up Seth and my bags and tell Mark to meet me at the airport. Anybody got a couch where we could land for a few weeks? Aw well. Africa has taught me to laugh and relax. If something bad is really going to happen worrying about it just ruins a whole bunch of extra time.
Other than possible homelessness, we are doing well. I’m nearly 7 months pregnant and still feel good. Remember I asked you to pray for me as I was feeling kind of useless here? God gave me an opportunity to offer homemade soy milk to my neighbor lady whose baby seemed to be crying a lot. When I inquired with our guard about the crying he said the mother was working and they were feeding the three month old full cream cow’s milk. After making some soy milk in my blender we asked the mother if she wanted the try it and I offered to provide it for her until I leave in Aug. They did try it but it seemed to give the baby diarrhea (opposite of the nasty constipation she had been having on the cow’s milk). I suggested she mix them and evidently she did but still seemed to prefer to give the baby cow’s milk. She was very grateful for my offer, though and it was fun meeting her and her two daughters. When she came over to say it wasn’t working for the baby I held the baby and visited with the mother for a while. The baby looks very healthy and isn’t crying much at all now. I don’t think I actually helped but it has been a blessing to meet this lady and know that if I could have helped I would have! I am continuing to pray that God keeps me willing to act when I see a need that’s right in front of me. It seems obvious that I would but sometimes as I explained before, it’s not that simple. Thank you for the prayers! Keep them coming! Love you all. Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wrecking ball? Holy Moly. That's way more stressful that soccer ball. Stay safe!